Friday, April 5, 2013

Fatbrain...this is for YOU!

That's right...I'm talking to you!  (You know who you are...) It's true...you can ditch that high fiber cereal and have bacon and eggs for breakfast...cook it in butter, put cheese and avocado on top too!  I felt your "pain and loss"...all those mornings and no eggs, no bacon...I grieved for you.

(Holy Thursday...we had slow-cooked lamb, bacon and kale apple salad)

Your brain, which I believe to be a very good one, needs eggs...it needs healthy fats.  Mary Enig's book, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" was one of the first books on the subject that I read and it made a lot of sense.  (I have it if you'd like to borrow it)  And Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint is a great "paleo compromise".  While he has wonderful food recommendations, he doesn't go to seed on the food thing...he talks about other equally important things like sleep, and stress and play! And of course there's the scientific reasons that we should eat certain foods and avoid others that are toxic to our bodies, no matter what the food pyramid tries to sell us.  The Perfect Health Diet explains that to a T.   And back, back...WAY back...is Dr. Price and his "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" where he studied primitive cultures to find out why they didn't have the diseases and death rates that modern men did.  Oh, that modern world!  ;)  The Weston A. Price Foundation says we can be "Happy, because we eat BUTTER".  It's so true.

There was a certain priest that we had around St. Vincent's for a while who used to talk about how evil things work into our lives slowly...that's how they sneak in without us noticing!  He had an analogy about someone sitting at a table, and if the table was just taken away, they would notice....but if the legs got shortened a little tiny bit each day, all of a sudden one day the table is GONE!  He equated that with how the devil operates.  And that's what the food industry has done...companies add a little more sugar into products every year...they tweak the "design" of wheat a little more here and there to produce more yield...they start using cheaper oils, the gradual change never registers until one day we read the label and go...wow, what junk!  One that I heard the other day was Kashi cereal (who claims on the box to be healthy!) who uses 3 different types of sweeteners so they are in smaller amounts and can be listed farther down on the ingredients list making you believe there's not a big pile 'o sugar...but rather, 3 types in smaller piles!   Things weren't always this way, the changes came slowly...and that's the best way to "send it back" to the food industry...slowly walk back to real food, back to farmers, back to health....one ingredient at a time.

In related news....we're only into the first week of Easter and Lent seems so far behind me.  I think I ate my weight in einkorn chocolate chip cookies and honey caramels, and even though not a peep, or jellybean, or Cadbury egg passed these lips...I'm ready to detox from sugar!  Thankfully, I do not consider myself to be a person with sugar addiction, I used to be!  But yesterday, I saw the wedding cake all cut into conveniently snackable pieces and I wasn't interested in it at all.  I've passed many a birthday cake this past year, and the only thing I missed was an unnecessary insulin spike.  

I've come to believe that other people think I'm suffering greatly...while I actually see THEM as suffering.  I'm not a puppet to sugar or flour or Kraft or any of those things, and what other people see as an ooh-aah indulgence, I see as a set-up for a miserable, unhealthy, prescription drug supported future!  Plus, Word on the street is that our bodies will only take our sugar bombing so many times before it gives up waiting for eggs and bacon!  It doesn't bother me anymore when people give me the, "WHAT, no cake?!" face when I say I don't want any...but they'll get quite a different response when they try to "push their wares" on my kids.  Addicts want everyone else around them to be addicted too...misery loves company.  And for some when you "don't eat a piece of their birthday cake" it's like you refuse to commune with them. 

I used to be the one who would go to a wedding reception, suffer through the long-winded toasts and be impatient to get out of there but would suffer through it all just to get the wedding cake!  Fortunately, this wedding yesterday was quite pleasant and I was happy to be there, cake or no cake!  This time, Gen and I put a dent in the cheese plate and spent the rest of the time outside sitting in the grass soaking up the vitamin D.



No comments:

Post a Comment