Tuesday, June 12, 2018

I love a good word list...

A word and phrase list from my mom's journal...yes, I'm reading it.  (Of course!  She read mine when I was a teenager!  Her excuse?  "I was worried about you...")

Alas, Google demystified where the words were from, but even though I know she was reading Taylor Caldwell's "Lion of God: A Novel about Saint Paul", I still don't know what she was thinking about as she chose these words in particular.  I can only imagine.

Knowing her...if it was really a secret, she wouldn't have written it down at all, and definitely wouldn't have NOT burned it already!!

Knowing her...

Ironic, and not, that she lost her voice the last 2 years of life.  Oh, the things she typed to me on that phone, and then promptly deleted. Oh, the things I learned, and things I will never learn.

As Laurie Anderson says, in "World without End"...when my [mother] died...it was like a whole library burned down.



Onto the list:
Fascinating.  Trivial.  Frivolous.  Boisterous.  Impulsive.  Circumstance.  Ecstatic.  Contentment.  Apathy has seized.  Rippling gently.  Closed and peaceful.  Radiant face.  Declining.  Contempt.  Lenient.  Refraining.  Beyond bearing.  Tedious.  Turmoil.  Tremendous.  Scrupulous.  Reviled.  Authentic.  Disheveled.  Incoherent.  Subdue.  Resistance.  Sorcerer.  Preposterous.  Shattered.  Stupefaction.  Enthusiasm.  Exuberance.  Inquisitive.  Assertive.  Condescendingly.  Bafflement.  Reluctance.  Vivid.  Glistening and translucent. 

Gave himself up to grief and remorse.  Rain came in long, gray spears of slashing water.  Mysterious dreamlike peace.  Passion made his spirit soar.  The sweetest wind frolicked among new flowers.  Whispering and singing life all about him.  The pond was like a liquid sapphire.  His heart was like a ready cymbal ready to be struck.  The light was so incandescent it hurt the eye.  Quivering with brilliance.  

That's all she wrote....




No comments:

Post a Comment